Monday, February 25, 2013

Editing: How To & Process

I am going to edit the first 2 chapters of Perfect World tonight and I  figure that I might as well just go ahead and make a blog post about it.

I start of editing by going through the chapter with spell check and grammar check. If you use Microsoft Word then all you have to do is click the book that wither has an x or a check-mark and it takes you to your mistakes. I go through and correct everything with that as I write, which helps a lot because I can find if I accidentally used singular instead of plural or something along those lines.

After that, I read through and correct everything I want. If I find a sentence that doesn't quite make sense, or something else like so: "Yeah," he said. "we need to be careful." that the Grammar Checker doesn't get then I will correct those too.

After that, I read through again and revise/rewrite all of the parts that I think I can write better and then I edit what I revised/rewrote.

Then I read through again and make sure everything is in working order, no plot-holes or anything and I have all of my world-building facts right and character names and such.

And then I'm done!

No comments:

Post a Comment